MATTER CYCLES BENEFAT is a steel fat bike designed to be handle like an aggressive trail bike...a really fun machine HandMade in the USA. Launched in 2012 by Collin Schaafsma, MATTER CYCLES is based in Boulder, Colororado. Collin designs, develops and built himself all its bikes to your size ! Build to last, MATTER BIKES are handmade from very high end US made True Temper steels, Italian Columbus tubing and air craft grade 4130. The range of bike proposed by MATTER CYCLES is now rich of 6 bikes that are all handmade, bespoke and designed to your needs : Agressive Hardtail SLAYRIDE, Fat Bike BENEFAT, the gravel explorer WOLFBEARD, singlespeed belt drive CHOSTCAT, pure roadbike COGFIGHT and the commuter beltdrive URBAN ASSAULT.
MATTER CYCLES BENEFAT is mainly made of True Temper OX (USA) steel tubes, only the down tube is from Nova (Canada). Like all the bikes built by Collin, it is available as a frameset or as a complete bike.
Usually typical fat bikes are not really playful machine outside of the fact they have enormous tires. The MATTER CYCLES BENEFAT is born from the wish to produce a real fun steel fat bike to ride.
This is a long time development machine with only one man on board, managing to keep the playful spirit of an aggressive hardtail bike that allow you to do a lots of stupid things on a bike..but mixed with enormous tires...It resulted in curved seat tube, custom yoke, curved down tube for suspension fork clearance, internal dropper post routing to get all of it working perfectly together !
The geometry is inspired from the fun and aggressive hardtail MATTER CYCLES SLAYRIDE featuring really short chainstay with the BENEfice of FAT tires...(BENEFAT).
MATTER BIKES are custom, but to ensure that each BENEFAT keep the fun it is gene, it has a core geometry that cannot be change: Head tube angle 68 degrees with a 100mm Bulto RS, Seat tube angle of 74 degrees,Bottom bracket drop of 60mm and those extra short chainstay of 420mm. Outside of it, it is totally bespoke : the length, the thickness and the profile of each tube are designed to fit how you ride, who you are and what you really plan to do with the bike. It features an usual 44mm head tube for tapered fork, a Custom designed CNC yoke providing enough clearance for tire up to 26 x 4.8in and 29 x 3in and you can choose the braze you need on the bike cause yes...you can mount a rear rack.
About the paintjob, 1 to 2 colours are included in the price with decals, but if you wish to have a rainbow custom paint for example, then you need to request a quotation.
You can also get the BENEFAT with rocker dropouts to go SS with a belt or a chain and you can go with a rigid fork that has the same 15mm x 150mm axle spacing as a Bluto fork, so you can easily swap it out and not have to build up a new front wheel. It is only designed to be mount with a unique chainring...1x10 or 1x11.
MATTER CYCLES BENEFAT OPTIONS
- Custom crazy paint, please request a quote.
- Internal cable routing $100 per cable
- Internal XTR Di2 Routing $100
- Extra Braze-ons $20 per
- Head tube angle: 68 / with 100mm Bluto
- Seat tube angle: 74
- Bottom bracket drop: 60mm
- Super short Chain stay length: 420mm / 16.53in
BENEFAT FRAME SPECS
- Headset Top: 44mm Zero Stack
- Headset Bottom: 44mm External
- Rear Brake Mount: Post Mount
- Rear Axle Syntace: 197mm x 12mm
- Front Derailleur: None (1 x only)
- Seatpost Diameter: 31.6mm
- Seatpost Clamp: 35mm
- Bottom Bracket Shell: 100mm BSA English thread
MATTER CYCLES bikes are unique and great machines. Keep the name in mind if you want to ride a unique bike that you will not cross everywhere, built to your size and to last.
Collin, owner, really pay attention to your wishes and design your dream bike around your project. Those are all the advantage of an Handmade bike.
Custom BENEFAT frameset $1950
Complete Builds Starting at an average of $4000 with a personalized equipment.
MATTER CYCLES SELLS WORLDWIDE, contact him for a personalised quotation.
BENEFAT STEEL FRAME
- Handmade in Boulder, CO
- Custom sized
- Custom tubing profiles
- Butted steel tubing, the good stuff
- Custom designed CNC'd yoke for awesome clearance
- Clearance for 26 x 4.8in and 29 x 3in tires
- 197 x 12 thru Syntace axle
- Full length cable housing cable guides
- 100mm english thread bottom bracket
- Two color powder coat with clear
- Stainless steel head badge
- 44mm head tube for 1.5 tapered fork steerer
- 31.6 seat post size for dropper post compatibility
- Seat tube exit port for internal routed dropper post
- Curved seat tube to allow clearance with shorter chain stays
- Curved down tube to allow Bluto fork crown clearance
- Get rowdy geometry
- TIG welded construction
- Stout as all get out