Sunrace Sturmey-Archer is a manufacturer of traditional dérailleur drivetrain systems as well as internally geared drive-train transmissions. Sunrace was founded in 1972 and Sturmey-Archer was founded in 1902. They are producing rear 10 and 11 speeds MTB wide cassettes. Let s take a look at those 11 speeds cassettes.
SUNRACE CSMS7 – CSMS8 – CSMX8 11/40/42T
SUNRACE CSMS7 - CSMS8 - CSMX8 are the 3 cassettes starting with a 11T sprocket (CSMX9 10T sprocket) available for each with the following set up : [AY] 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36-42 or [AX] 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36-40. They differs from the type of spider and the material use on the last and larger sprocket.
They are competing against the SRAM NX steel cassette.
- CSMS7 is 100% steel sprockets. The 6 first sprockets (11-13-15-17-19-21) are independent, 24-28-32 on a steel spider and 36-42 or 36-40 on a steel spider. The weight is 507g(AY) / 471g(AX).
- CSMS8 is 100% steel sprockets. The 5 first sprockets 11-13-15-17-19 are independent, 21-24-28 on an alloy spider, 32-36-42 or 32-36-40 also on an alloy spider. The weight is 465g(AY) / 429g(AX).
- CSMX8 differs from the CSMS8 with the sprocket (40 or 42T) made of Aluminium 7075 to gain some weight. 401g(AY) / 389g(AX).
SUNRACE CSMX9 10/42T
SUNRACE CSMX9 is in a certain way in competition with the HOPE wide MTB Cassette but also with original SRAM Cassettes. Starting with a small 10T sprocket, it requires a specific Sunrace Driver Body (or hub) under reference HBMX9. The cassette and its special Driver Body (or hub) will be shown for the first time at the Taipei Show (2 - 5 March 2016).
UPDATE since Taipei Show : The HBMX9 product code refer to a complete hub and the freehub will not be sold separately. I have seen pictures and the way that the 10T is set up is almost similar to HOPE, a big and long threaded ring come to close over the 10/12T sprocket. It have a Campagnolo print. There is no availability yet as Sunrace is still not sure to sell the complete hub as a spare parts. All the CSMX9 cassette already on the market should have not been sent to resellers, not all of them have been sent back to Sunrace.
On the other hand, they are launching in the middle of the year a brand new 11speed cassette 11-46T.
- CSMX9 is mainly made of steel, 10-12 are made of one and same piece, 14-16-18 are independents, 21-24-28 and 32-36-42 are on an alloy spider. The largest sprocket (42T) is made of Aluminium 7075 to gain some weight : 395g.
Price as a simple indication : price may be different depending on special sales, website, shop...as Sunrace does not fix MSRP.
- CSMS7 Champagne or Nickel - 11/40 or 11/42 average price = NC
- CSMS8 Champagne or ED.Black - 11/40 or 11/42 average price = NC
- CSMX8 Champagne or Black Chrome - 11/40 or 11/42 average price = 70 euros - 80 UsDollars
- CSMX9 Champagne or Black Chrome - 10/42 average price = 95 euros